Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How to Love a Socipath

How can you love a sociopath?!

When my children were young, I learned that if someone did something nice for my children, they did something nice for me.  What can I say?  I loved my children more than life itself.  My world revolved around them. 

And so similarly, if one wanted to hurt me, they need only hurt my children.  Those mother-bear instincts run deep.  When my grown boys were in self-destruct mode, I still loved them, but I didn't LIKE them.  They were hurting my children! 

From the time they were conceived, I sacrificed to give them the best of everything.  I gave birth naturally when C-sections weren't required,  spent my summers teaching them to work and providing them with home-grown organic vegetables.  I cooked from scratch, took them to church, had family prayer, weekly family nights and family scripture study.  I nurtured my marriage so that they would have a two-parent home and I was at home for them each day.  I studied child-rearing books and volunteered regularly in their schools.  We made sure that we were teaching by example how to be a good upstanding citizens and obey the laws of the land... and they were throwing it all away and destroying their own lives, not to mention taking down their siblings!

With our sociopathic son, we love the boy he once was.  We love the man he is now too, but mostly feel pity for him.  This illness has cost him everything.  We hate the horrible things he has done to us and we mourn our losses as well as his, but we don't hate him.  We love him enough to not support him in his destruction.  We love him enough to not rescue him from his mistakes.

We love him from a distance.  To protect ourselves and the family, we keep the contact to a minimum.  We write to him in prison and send pictures, but we receive no joy from his return letters as they are full of lies and manipulations and of course, multiple requests.  He feels the need to keep someone jumping through hoops for him in order to maintain some control.

If your sociopath is a neighbor, coworker or friend, keep as much distance between you as possible.  You can't fix him or help him. 

If your sociopath is a boyfriend, run!  Get far away as fast as you can and whatever you do, don't make children with him, or you'll be tied to him for eternity! 

If he is the father of your children, get your education and work with your family so that you can be financially independent.  Most sociopaths want power and control, but not financial obligations.  He may be very willing to sign away his parental rights if it means he won't be held financially responsible for the children.  This is a best case scenario, because no child benefits from having a sociopathic parent.  They are better off father-less, as you will have no control over what happens on those weekends they spend with dad...

If he is your child, sibling or parent, then it's a whole lot more complicated.  As Dr. Laura teaches, you will still be an honorable child if you send your parent a card on all the important occasions, but you don't have to make a phone call or visit if you know you will be abused. 

You don't have to let the sociopath turn your heart to stone.  They can be loved, but it needs to be done from a distance!

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I fell in love with a sociopath, and am now pregnant by him, only to realize he is married with 5 children, and is denying he's the father of my child. He lied about everything about himself, even went so far as to make up a story about his daughter dying. The man shed tears in my presence. Now I'm heartbroken, single, emotionally shattered, and wondering if I have the strength to terminate this pregnancy (I don't believe in abortion). I'm praying I don't have an incurable disease as a result of my interaction with him. My biggest fear is if I have this child, if it will turn out to be a sociopath, because sociopathy is highly genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you! Your situation is so important and unfortunately so common that I have addressed it in my latest post. Your life has changed. I hope you will take the time to go there and read it and really stop to ponder the possibilities. Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete