Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Now I Understand... Narcissism and the Sociopath

Along with our son's diagnosis of Conduct Disorder (read young sociopath) as a teen, came a diagnosis of narcissism.  Well, I had to look that up and what I found explained a lot. 

Now I understood why he spent so much time in front of the mirror a an early age, making sure he looked perfect.  Now I understood his shoe fettish! 

Now I understood why he quit sport teams where he was very succesful, but not THE STAR. 

Now I understood why family and friends had to repeatedly rewind and rewatch footage of him playing sports so that we could all admire his calf muscles.

Now I understood why he was "the bomb" and the absolute best at everything... at least in his own mind.  Not that he didn't proclaim it on a regular basis.

Now I understood why when introducing himself to the church congregation, he ended with, "I hope you all enjoy me."

Seriously.  He said that.

Now I understood why the boy that can't determine fact from fiction can remember so very well, everytime I tried to warn some girl about him and hates me for it to this day.

Whether the narcissist in your life is your  man, your child or your mother, step carefully! Understanding the narcissist is important.  How to handle them is even more important.

"Your 'outing' of him or her adds to his narcissistic injury.  A narcissist needs to look good in front of others and you gain nothing by proving he is not the best, smartest, wealthiest, most capable person he wants to be seen as."

While this is all rather amusing on the surface, it is truly quite disturbing on deeper levels.  Narcissism destroys families, it destroys lives.  Learn about it and how to protect yourself and please, share your insights here. Together we can heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment